Monday, January 30, 2006

The First Cut

Yawn. What? Do I hear you grumbling,my precioussssss pensieve? Yeah,yeah, I know that "Yawn" is not a good way to start my first genuine posting on this blog. But this blog is supposed to represent my state of mind and since it is now 2 A.M. in the night, I am beginning to feel sleepy. Ideally, I was supposed to write this blog between 11 and 12 in the night, but due to unforeseen factors (as usual), I am running very late. So, even if you have any objections, my dear pensieve, I advise you to shut your trap and let me be.
Getting back to the main point. Hmmm....as I planned it, I was going to write about something on my mind and some song appropriate to it in every blog. Right now, what is on my mind is how to choose the song that I am going to put today. So, let's talk about that.

You see, choosing a song that fits my state of mind is a very tricky business. The problem is, 45% of the songs ever written are about love/romance and all other gooey stuff like that and the other 45% are about chronically depressed people on the verge of suicide.That leaves just 10% and unfortunately, those 10% lack depth. They are usually about some frivolous things like a Sweet Home in Alabama(Lynryd Skynryd) or A Black Dog(LedZep). I fail to see how a song about a Black Dog can reflect my innermost and deepest thoughts(Do I hear someone snicker? Dammit, I do have inner and deep thoughts! Everyone does!) so those 10% are out.

Ok, so that just leaves songs about love and depression. Now, love etc. etc. are a non-issue for me. So, it seems to me that the only songs left for me to identify with are the depressing ones.

Well, I don't have too much problem with that, wallowing in self-pity is kinda cool, but I do think that most of these songs ask for me to be a bit too depressed. I mean, my Mom is probably going to read this blog and if I put a song that makes it seem like I am going to go and jump into the lake adjoining my house ( Yes, I do have a lake adjoining my house. Cool, ain't it? )as soon as I finish this blog, she will most likely be a trifle worried. And we can't have that, can we?
So, you can see my problem. My choices of the song I put here have been severely limited. Life just isn't fair.

The only way I can see out of this problem is to already start bending the rules I had for this blog. Actually, that's fun. :) So, now what I'm gonna do is still put a song everyday, but it may not necessarily be a very close representation of my state of mind. So Mom, don't worry!

But, now that I think about it, this song business is pretty strange. These songwriters write songs about people who are deliriously happy or about people who are down-in-the-depths type depressed, and they seem to think that the only way a chap can be deliriously happy is to be in love. Ha! The idiots! I bet I could think of a dozen things that make me deliriously happy.
For example...like....errr....hmmmm..........gimme a minute here, will ya? Errr...well..........I would be very happy if Sachin scores a triple century in this match and India wins. Well, perhaps not deliriously happy, but I can't think of anything else at this very moment. Hey, gimme a break! It's 3 in the night! Besides, who wants to be deliriously happy anyhow? I would much rather be very happy but still be cool and composed and rather nonchalant.

I think that's about it for today. Since the theme of my ramblings today was songs and their lyrics, the song for today is going to be about music.

If I could dig down deep in my heart
Feelings would flood on the page
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya
Would ya think the boy's insane? He's insane
I said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it
I said I know it's only rock'n roll but I like it, like it, yes, I do
Oh, well, I like it, I like it, I like it
I said can't you see that this old boy has been a lonely?
And do ya think that you're the only girl around?
I bet you think that you're the only woman in town
I said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it
I said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it
I said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it, like it, yes, I do
Oh, well, I like it, I like it. I like it...

-The Rolling Stones

By the way, I thought of the title of today's blog while listening to Cat Stevens' "The First Cut is the Deepest", which is about how one's first love is always the strongest and the most painful, but that is obviously not the context in which I have kept the title. :)

That's it,folks.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

NerdTests.com says I'm an Uber Cool High Nerd.  What are you?  Click here!