Saturday, February 25, 2006

Don't beat yourself up about it

I watched a movie tonight. It was a good movie. It was an awesome movie. Lest you be so inclined, you can use it as your philosophical guide for the rest of your life.
This movie has been a much revered one among pretty much all my friends and I have been ridiculed a lot for not watching it till now. Now, I understand why.
And many of my friends would like to make this movie their guide for their life, but in reality, they never will. Because none of them have what is needed for that. For that matter, neither do I.
And that thing is a superfluous amount of guts. Also, more than a hint of insanity.

I don't quite know why I keep saying "movie", "movie" in this mysterious manner. I suppose it makes it sounds kind of impressive. Anyway,the movie I've been talking about is "Fight Club".

What now? How should I go about explaining why I liked the movie so much?
Hmmm.... the best way I can think of is to give you a sampling of some of the dialogues of the movie interpersed with some remarks about what I thought of that dialogue.

Caution: Spoilers within!!!(However, I think that except for my brother, anyone who reads ths blog has already seen this movie or is not the type of person who can really appreciate this movie(Hey Penny, did that sound condescending? Hmmm...I suppose it did... but it's the truth,dammit!!!)

Here goes nothing...

Narrator: ...i... ann... iinn... ff... nnyin...
Narrator: [voiceover] With a gun barrel between your teeth, you speak only in vowels.

Man, what opening lines for a movie!!! These are the sort of opening lines that make you snap to attention and focus your entire attention on the movie.


Narrator: I had it all. I had a stereo that was very decent, a wardrobe that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete.
Tyler Durden: Shit man, now it's all gone.

You of course get the point. This is what our lives have boiled down to,ain't it?

I think you must be kind of puzzled by now. What the hell am I talking about? I think I need to tell you which type of audience this movie was meant to cater to.

Let me try to give you a picture by another line from the movie-

We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

Do you agree? I'm not sure whether I do. I once read an essay somewhere which theorised that all the men who are the daring heroes in wars would have been common criminals if they had led a civilian life, getting into fights and stirring up trouble. The author argued that it was not a question of morality that who becomes a criminal and who doesn't, it is a question of how restless and how ambitious he is.
Anyway, I don't want to go into what all that essay said right now. But something to think about, at the very least.

There were other brilliant quotes in the movie too, but I think that you can't really appreciate them unless you actually see the movie. Nevertheless, I'll still mention a couple of one-liners.

The things you own end up owning you.
(This one, I totally agree with.)

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.
(Don't you think?)

And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.
(Goes well with the last quote. You are truly free only when you've lost hope, you've just let go. But hope is the most difficult thing to let go of, methinks.)

I felt like destroying something beautiful.
(This line was uttered by the narrator who had just beaten a man to pulp. And the thing that makes this movie different was that both the man beaten up and the man beating him up were totally contented)

That's about all I have to say about Fight Club. Penny says that my blog is rather morbid this time but that's only because Penny hasn't seen the movie. The movie ain't morbid,it's uplifiting.

Will close off with another line from FC, which explains not just this, but all these blogs of mine.

You met me at a very strange time in my life.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Jack's Own Angry Self :

http://www.kindofcrap.com/fightcalvin.html

else :

http://metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=29_0_2_0

1:06 PM  
Blogger Akshat Jain said...

Yeah, I know about the Fight Club/C&H connect....but personally,I find all the arguments rather stupid :)
Btw,dude,instead of being anonymous,plz put ur name!!!

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you asked, I AM 'Jack's Own Angry Self'.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... 1999 isuzu amigo parts Mexican toy Voyeur maspalomas http://www.wedding-invitations-and-cheap.info/Adderall-taken-with-wellbutrin.html Subaru manual clutch Fixing facial asymmetry without surgery mural projectors Ambien side effects from withdrawl slurpconfirm404 isosujp allegra myspace projecte.htm Cisco asa5520aip20k9 oxycontin no prescription 100 tablets

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Dickies flannel shirts

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

NerdTests.com says I'm an Uber Cool High Nerd.  What are you?  Click here!